Once your new joint has completely healed, you will reap the benefits of knee replacement surgery.
- Dramatic reduction in joint pain. No pain at all is the best outcome.
- Increased movement and mobility
- Correction of any deformities
- Improved quality of life – the ability to return to normal activities
- Running, jumping, jogging or any other high impact activities are discouraged although one can resume playing golf, swimming, walking, bicycling and other low impact sports.
After total knee replacement using a conventional implant, a person should have a good range of motion which will allow him to walk comfortably however squatting is not advised at all. A person who has very good range of motion after knee replacement surgery may be allowed to sit cross legged but this would also depend if a high flexion implant was used for the surgery. Your surgeon will be able to guide you through what activities you should pursue.